Monday, April 2, 2007

The Name of Jesus!



On Friday, I went to the prayer meeting. My friend Jeremy spoke a word from the Bible that capture all my attention: "Make His Name known." Then also Jemmy cried out "Jesus is coming: on a way to the prayer cabinets. Also somebody read: "The remembrance of His Name for generations to come." All these words motivated me to study the Name of my God in the Bible and secondary sources.

  • Genesis 1:1 Elohim which means "to worship". He is the Worshiped One.
  • Genesis 12:7-8 El or ELI. Abraham built an altar and called the place "Beth-El", which means "the house of God." This is the word Jesus spoke, "Eli, Eli, lama sa-bach-tha-na?"- "My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me?" (Mattew 27:46). The name "Eli" means "strong or mighty God".
  • Genesis 14:18-22 Eliom means the most high God. Christ himself is called "the Son of the Highest" (Luke 1:32).
  • Genesis 15:2 Adonai means "the cause, support"
  • Genesis 17:1 Shaddai- "God all sufficient".
  • Exodus 3:13-14 Ejeh which means "I Am that I Am".
  • 1 Samuel 1:9-11 The Lord of Sabaoth- the Lord of hosts.

Besides the meanings of the Hebrew names for God in the Old Testament, we can just go to some scriptures that will tell us about the Name that is ablove all names.

"I will exalt You, my God the King; I will praise Your name for ever and ever. Every day I will praise You and extol Your name for ever and ever."

Psalm 145:1-2

"Jacob said, "Please tell me Your name." But He replied, "Why do you ask My name?"

Genesis 32:29

"Do not worship any other god, for the Lord whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."

Exodus 34:14

"O Lord, our Lord, how majjestic is Your name in all the earth!"

Psalm 8:1

"Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You."

Psalm 9:10

"Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt His name together."

Psalm 34:3

"I am the Lord; that is My Name! I will not give My glory to another or My praise to idols."

Isaiah 42:8

"Your name and renown are the desires of our hearts."

Isaiah 26:8

"And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Joel 2:32

May God of a great name bless you all.

No comments: